rendezvouswitharomance

Rendezvous With A Romance

Please feel free to check out my blog @

In Mood Fur Love
Kate Baxter, Eve Langlais, Milly Taiden
Magic Born (The Guardian #2)
Rayanne Haines
Fated - Rebecca Zanetti

Book 1 in the Dark Protectors series was good but it was also hard to get engrossed in.  Cara was a contradiction; her father was abusive towards her, yet Talen's domineering and aggressive behavior she seemed fine with in the long run.  She was more concerned with her daughter and with having a choice, but she still went along with everything.  Within an hour or so of meeting him, he told her they were getting married and she resisted but not a lot. It wasn’t believable.  Also, when she discovered that they can only mate with humans with psychic abilities, she had a few moments to doubt whether he was with her because of that or because he wanted her, but the thoughts were so fleeting it was hard to believe she actually cared about the reason why he mated with her. I also don’t like how domineering Talen was; he didn’t explain things to her until after she gave in, told her how things were going to be and didn’t care about what she wanted or was going through. I wanted to like this book more, but had a hard time staying with it. The two main characters had no balance; he controlled everything and never seemed to consider her beyond safety and ownership.  They never were on equal ground; the relationship definitely came across as unhealthy and the few times the plot and events that could have been shaped into some emotional tension and fear of losing the other were never acted upon.  He had all the power and coming from a history of a controlling father like she did, I can’t buy the fact that she wouldn’t have fought back more. In the end, he wanted her to acknowledge his claim on her, but never once told her she owned him in return.  With all of that said, the plot line and concept were good, the conflict was strong, and the pace was good, I just needed more from the two main characters and more of a balance or a coming to understand and accept the other equally, and that didn't happen.