rendezvouswitharomance

Rendezvous With A Romance

Please feel free to check out my blog @

The Rose Red Bride
Claire Delacroix
Tempt Me with Darkness - Shayla Black

Enjoyable premise for a series. This is the first book by this author and book 1 in her Doomsday Brethren series. I enjoyed the magic, Merlin, Morganna le Fey connection. The hero was a dark and scarred man who didn't trust anything magic related and that included descendants of Morganna. Olivia is also scarred, raised by a mother who never let her forget that she was a duty and wasn't truly loved. Olivia moves to London to find her father after her mother dies and meets Marrok. From the get go, they have trust issues to deal with and their unintentional mating doesn't help the situation. In fact, it makes everything worse. For the majority of the book, they fight doubts about the other. Will she betray him like Morganna did? Can he truly love someone like her or is he using her to break his curse so he can die?  While they deal with that emotional back and forth, they must fight an evil that has resurfaced and band Magickind together so they can succeed. Battles ensue, zombies appear, passions flair, friendships are made, and the villains are revealed. I enjoyed it. At times her internal struggle to trust Marrok's reasons of being with her got exhausting. She needed to flat out lay her cards down and ask him: do you still want to die and is that the only reason you remain with me. If she had they could have cut the emotional seesaw in half. Now I understand why it wasn't done sooner. He needed to be forced to see that he loved her but I would have liked a little bit more communication between them. The villain is horrible, Black does a great job making him reprehensible and evil to the core, which makes the conflict stronger and more unbelievable. The conflict and plot are steady.  I enjoyed the story overall and will continue with the series but I did at times get bored with it.

On a side note, I was dealing with Hurricane Matthew the last several days and all that goes along with dealing with a large storm, so that could have colored my ability to get truly engrossed with this story. My family and I are good, no serious damage. We lost power for about 36 hours but that was the worst of it, besides the stress building up to and then dealing with it hitting the coast of Florida.